August 19, 2010

White Office Chair Magic

I have always loved the style of office chair I once saw in the movie "Holiday" which was in Cameron Diaz's home office. It is a white leather elegant chair that fit nicely with her office decor. The simple lines of this Zuo Lider No Arm White Office Chair with chrome accents defines the design of a modern yet comfortable office. This chair is very similar and would work perfectly in my new office.



But alas, I have put that on my wish list, but until I can get it, I decided to "make do".











I bought a simple office chair on sale at Walmart. It is adjustable, fairly comfortable, but sadly very BROWN. Since I really wanted a white office chair for my new home office, I decided to simply recover it.

Using some leftover white flannel from another project, I carefully pinned the top piece onto the chair for fitting, cutting off the excess fabric.








I then sewed the top and edges along the pin lines. After turning it right side out, and placing it on the seat back, I then pinned again, cutting the excess away. Here I did handstitching to finish the top cover.






For the bottom cover I measured with enough excess to fold over under the seat and make a casing. Using string for a drawstring, it made the seat fit tightly, and also made it removeable for cleaning if needed.






I haven't decided whether or not to paint the black parts of the chair. My choices would be metallic silver, or glossy red. Will put that off for another day. Still need to get the feel of my new white office chair.








So what do you think, should I spray paint the black plastic parts red or chrome? Leave me your comments.