November 4, 2011

Simple Built In Bookcases



I have been wanting some stunning  economical bookcases in several of my rooms. Puddling through storage tubs is getting old, and I am guessing that since we have been here for 5 years, most likely we will stay put. My mentor over at Sawdustandpaperscraps made some gorgeous built-in bookcases which I have always admired.

I do have some limitations however, one being, I do not have a Big Orange Box Store nearby, and I don't have all the fancy tools that she has (que Santa music here). So while surfing  sludging on the internet, due to our prehistoric service, I found someone who started with cheapo WallyWorld bookcases and trimmed them out beautifully.

Thus, my adventure began. With my PoolBoy, I was able to assemble the double high bookcases, and plaster those suckas to the wall, to prevent any future tipping. Levels, LONG screws, and muscles were definitely needed here.




With some minor tricks of the trade, I was able to hide accidental accidents, and paint the trim. I used MDF trim, did I say that is the greatest invention since the dishwasher?



I truly wanted sophisticated, technically correct, crown moulding on the top, however due to calculations beyond my control, I just cut and slapped it up there. Of course, it helped that my DDIL (darling daughter in law) went to the BlueGray Store with me and convinced me to buy these absolutely fabulous Texas star corner blocks.

To accommodate the bottom trim, I did need to attach the bottom shelf 3 inches higher than it called for. My mentor friend just pops hers onto a 2 x 4 base, which is what I will do with the next sets...yes there are more to come.

The bottom half will eventually have doors on them, hence the extra shelf trim, but for now, and since they aren't truly square, "just a smidge", I am settling for what I have. At least the storage tubs are gone.

Thanks to the constant encouragement from Sawdustandpaperscraps



Adding this to her Linky Party